Wednesday, August 19, 2015

More Truth Within Fiction: An Alcoholic in the Family

Johnny Hopkins as Hank Malone in Surviving Family
I grew up hearing stories about my mother's alcoholic younger brother Hugh.  In a family where both parents were alcoholics, it was something of a foregone conclusion that it would hit at least some of the kids.  Hugh was next in line age-wise to my mom - 2nd and 3rd respectively out of 5 kids - so she was always trying to help him out.  He was a heavy drinker by high school, and was always in trouble - getting in fights, or landing in jail for whatever stupid idea he or his buddies dreamed up.

My mom gave him a place to stay more times than she could - or would - count.  Things would start out well, amid promises that it was "different this time."  Then the drinking would start.  Again.

Here's the scene from Surviving Family that's inspired by that; Sarah Wilson stars as Terry Malone, Billy Magnussen is her fiance, and the terrific Johnny Hopkins plays Hank (catch him next in Ed Burns' upcoming series Public Morals).



Inevitably, things would go wrong and the drinking would start again, usually in secret.  He sometimes stole from her.  He always disappointed her.  Sort of like this:



I spent more than a year showing Surviving Family at festivals around the US, as well as in Canada and Germany.  I was amazed - although although I probably shouldn't have been - how many people told me that they have a friend or family member just like that.  While I certainly wouldn't wish these problems on anyone, I'm damn glad that people can relate to the characters.

If you're wondering about the great restaurant location in the 2nd video - thanks once again to the great folks at Satis Bistro in Jersey City, NJ.

If you like the clips, watch the entire movie on Amazon Prime or iTunes.



















No comments:

Post a Comment